Monday, August 24, 2009

Green with Envy


On Sunday I was doing some yard work and I peered over the fence to see my neighbor Farmer Sid's garden. He had beautiful sunflowers,squash,and rows of green tomatoes. Just when I was thinking that I should have planted a vegetable garden, Farmer Sid poked his head out from behind a tomato plant and asked me if I liked green tomatoes. I told him that I wasn't sure, but I would give them a try and figured if nothing else they would look good in my green kitchen.

He told me to just fry them in butter and add salt and pepper.
So I took my green tomatoes,sliced them, and fried them in a pan with lots of butter.
Don't they look delicious...I bet you're envious of me now... :)
Well, I don't claim to be a good cook...they tasted okay... but...

Does anybody have a good recipe for fried green tomatoes?

2 comments:

The Cottage Girl said...

Well here in the south, they fry everything including green tomatoes.

slice them, pat dry w/paper towels.
dredge in beaten eggs, then dip in your favorite bread crumbs or corn muffin mix. Sprinklw with salt and pepper. Fry or roast in the oven on a bit of oiled or buttered pan. Turn as needed. Cool slightly so you don't burn your mouth and enjoy.
You should also try deep fryed dill pickle spears. They are made the same but put in a deep fryer. Serve those with ranch dip. Delish!

TheCottageGirl

Anonymous said...

Must be that time of year! I was just giving this recipe to my mom from Fannie Flagg's "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe"
She has recipes in the back...
1 med. green tomatoe(one per person)
salt, pepper, white cornmeal, bacon drippings, slice 1/4 inch thick, season both side w/salt, pepper, cornmeal, fry in drippings till lightly brown on both sides:) yummy....surprise it's from rita